Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rachael's week in Paleo

This week saw a huge change in my blood sugar. I’ve dropped 40 points in my AM fasting state within the last 2 weeks. Part of this was a medicine small medicine tweak that my doctor and I decided on last Friday, but I also believe it has a lot to do with converting over to a paleo lifestyle.

I have to take a minute to say that I was not able to do the 30 day lifestyle change that’s described in Robb Wolf’s book, or on other Paleo-centric blogs out on the interwebz. My brain and I (and yes, I think of us as being 2 different entities most of the time, because I fight with my brain on a daily basis) would not be able to mental handle such an abrupt cut off.

However, the beautiful thing is the farther along on my Paleo Journey I go, the less I’m craving breads and sweets. And the more fun I am having finding “new” comfort foods. For the first time since being diagnosed as a diabetic, I am enjoying what I do eat, knowing it is lower on the glycemic index than the processed foods I used to eat, which makes my insulin levels rise and fall shorter and slower levels over time.  This is an all-around health boost.

This weekend, I had to go buy new undies, because mine were all falling off me.  What a great problem to have!

I also found a new store that recently opened up called, “Greater Than Grains,” and is our city’s first ever gluten-free shop. I was amazed that the people running the store really seemed to get a totally grain free lifestyle! I was able to find several things I haven’t been able to find at the local grocery stores, like bags of unsweetened coconut flakes (for making our own coconut milk!), arrowroot powder, and they had freezer cases of organic/nitrate free meats! I cannot wait to dig into that. I will be visiting that store a lot in the near future.

All in all, it was a pretty great week. I can think of only 2 meals that were not Paleo-iferic.  That’s pretty darn good for my husband and I.  As we see the benefits we are both happier with ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment