Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It's been a while, huh?

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Davis AKA Wheat Belly and his teachings at http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/ 

Or you can find an Amazon link to his book in our bookstore here.

I am finally getting it threw my thick skull the evilness that is flour and grains. I don't swell or bloat like some people I know do. I can eat a moderate amount and not experience much weight gain.  But the long-term effects on my joints has become very apparent to me recently.

I was virtually pain-free in my joints for a good portion of last year.  Then I started incorporating a wee bit of flour products back into my diet, which unconsciously grew more and more. I didn't realize until very recently how much I'd started hurting again.  My main culprit is my "good" thumb.

You see, I had a thumb joint replacement on my right hand 2 years ago, due to total degradation of the base joint (the joint that connects your thumb to your hand).

Recently, the thumb joint on my left hand has degraded to the point that I was seriously considering starting the process of getting that joint replaced too. I have been wearing a brace almost constantly, and popping Advil or Tylenol (or both) at the end of the work day just to maintain function.

I made the decision to cut out the flour again last week.  I've been working hard to cut it down to virtually nil (think I had and english muffin and cookies over the weekend). 

Today is the first day in months that I've been pain free at the end of the work day. In my hand,  at least..let's not get crazy.


So no more denial. Wheat products contribute to my arthritis and eventual joint degradation.  I know this.  I must repeat it every day when tempted by something that I know will just lead me down the path of pain.

And that's why I made cookies tonight with almond flour and honey.  Recipe coming soon!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment