This is so not compatible with the Paleo/Primal lifestyle that we are trying to emulate, but I thought that I might try to work something out as a "Once in a While" treat, while still keeping it gluten-free, and trying to cut down on the badness that happens when you deep-fry foods.
What I came up with probably isn't for day to day clean eating. Most certainly not when you are doing a cleanse, or a 21/30 day challenge, but it does boast to not having any wheat flour, and it was pretty delicious.
I was having a hard time coming up with an egg wash and "breaded" coating that stayed on the chicken wing through the cooking process. I had a moment of genius inspiration and decided to try tahini as way to thicken the egg wash in to a more batter-like consistency, and it worked pretty darn well! If you don't have or cannot obtain Tahini, you might try an unsweetened almond or other nut/seed butter, but it might be more difficult to incorporate into the egg wash without using a food processor.
In an attempt to keep calories down, I only pan-fried the wings for a short time, just enough to set the coating, and then finished cooking in the oven. I wanted the breading to be crunchy, yet have the same mouth-feel as a deep fried wing.
*Note, work in batches. Fry a few wings at a time, then put on a cooling rack with paper towels or aluminum foil underneath to catch the excess oil. Then carefully move the wings to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to finish in the oven. You might want to double line it.
So here you go. I hope you enjoy it as much as DaMan did:
Spicy Breaded Chicken Wings
(this recipe coated about 20 wings)
- 3 eggs
- Spicy Hot Sauce, a few dashes, to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons Tahini
- 2-3 Tablespoons Almond or coconut milk (if needed to stretch the egg wash)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal (dried leftover almond paste from making your own, if you keep it)
|Egg Wash with Tahini (the secret ingredient!)|
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Mrs Dash
- Seasoned pepper
- Sea Salt
- Chili powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put all the dry ingredients and your chosen spices into a gallon-sized ziplock baggie.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients well.
- Heat a large skillet with your preferred oil. I ended up using veggie oil, because the coconut oil smoked too quickly. If you can make it work, great.
- Drag your chicken wings through the egg wash, then coat with the dry ingredients by shaking them in the baggie with the dry ingredients.
- Place in skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken on cooling rack with paper towels underneath to catch excess oil. Let drain for a few minutes.
- Place drained chicken on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the oven until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Let wings cool for a few minutes, then serve.
|Fry in batches, don't overcrowd the skillet.|
Here's a Primal Ranch Dressing Recipe that you might use a dipping sauce,it's from Mark's Daily Apple.
|place quick fried wings to a cooling rack before transferring them to the oven for finishing.|