Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Recipe: Quickie Greens Side-Dish

from www.dreamstime.com
I really wish I'd take pics more often, especially when I cook something I really like!

Here's an easy and quick side that has saved my bacon a few times when I'm faced with serving meat, and am getting sick of the ever present salad.


Bacon Wilted Greens

When I say "Greens" I mean whatever greens you have on-hand. Spinach, kale, Swiss Chard, cabbage, turnip greens, etc.  Whatever you've got down in the bottom of your crisper drawer. It's a great way to use up limp greens, because you're going to wilt them anyway.
  • Greens, several large handfuls (You need to experiment to see how many feeds your family after it's cooked down)
  • Bacon Fat
  • Lemon Juice
  • Shredded Parmesan (optional, for garnish)
  • Sea Salt

  1. Melt a tablespoon of bacon fat into a large skillet set on medium heat
  2. Add Greens and coat them well with bacon fat
  3. As the greens heat, they wilt. Stir and flip them constantly. They should be ready in 1-2 minutes.
  4. Once wilted to desired consistency, turn off flame, sprinkle with lemon, cheese, and salt to taste.

That's it!  It really couldn't be simpler, and it's really yummy.  I served wilted spinach last night with chicken brats, and it required almost no thought, and took less than 15 minutes for the whole dish.

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum!
    I was saving our bacon grease yesterday and Rick said it kinda grossed him out when I did that. I said, "Doesn't gross you out when I cook with it, though!"

    He said no, is yummy when I cook with it. lol

    ReplyDelete