Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rachael: Paleo on Vacation, & Did Caveman Have State Fairs with Food on a Stick?

Ok, so my brain is a happy jumble all mixed in with the endorphins of eating well, and getting healthy.  I say this so that you understand that the subject of this blog post makes me smile.

Last night the hubby and I went to our State Fair, and walked our legs off looking at the food, the rides, and going to the night's big concert. Did I say we walked? oh yes...our Paleolithic ancestors knew the benefits of walking, but would have have understood the benefits of fried spaghetti and meatballs on a stick?

Would they have liked it?

No, we didn't try it. We actually didn't even find that particular booth, and I wonder if it was a joke. In fact, we didn't eat very much at all at the state fair. The smells were enough, though. Funnel cakes smell amazing, but I wasn't very tempted.

I don't say that to sound snotty. It really didn't matter to me if I ate it or not, and when I realized that, I was happily able to wander, not consumed by my usual need to ingest every sugary fried dough item in my path.

Very, very liberating.

The Hubster and I figured that we would relax the Paleo and indulge, because neither one of us had been to a state fair before, and we wanted the whole experience, even if it meant rocks in our tummies afterwards.

We did both eat a greasy Philly cheesesteak sandwich, that really didn't sit well with me, and I will happily decline it the next time. Unless I happen to be in Philly. Because, you know...you gotta. At least once. Right?

Anyway, as I was saying, smelling the differing foods at the State Fair was good enough for me, and I was content to marvel the deep fried snickers bar, but not eat one.

Go me.

However, our roving correspondent, Lola, is currently on vacation, and I got a message from her that she's having a difficult time with "Eating on Vacation"  (cue dramatic movie music).  She's been trying to stick to salad's and meat products, but that she is not feeling satiated. As we all are, she's also trying to keep costs down, and is running into instances where she's forced to either spend $$$ for a healthier alternative, or eat badly to save money.

I know you all can relate to Lola's situation, so give me some tips for Lola to eat better, feel better about what she's buying, and things of that nature, please!

You can leave a comment here, or at our companion Face Book page at Paleo Life in the Real World.

Or both.  :)

The two tips I've given her are:

1.  She needs more fats in her meals. Meat and veggies only are not going to make her feel satiated and happy.

2. If she's craving sweets, she should go to the store and get some fruit and some bittersweet chocolate from the baking aisle. Both can travel in her purse for emergency sugar cravings.

So what have you got that can help our little Lola out???


No comments:

Post a Comment